Monday 17 September 2012

Places that I Grew Up In (Part 2/5)

Who will ever forget the ‘Growing Up’ Years of their childhood and for me; Bukit Timah has played a huge part in this period where at least 2 decades of it had been revolving around this area.

From Pre-Primary to Primary School right to Secondary School and even till today, this area still brings me fond memories and was also the place I studied, make friends (and foes), great makan sessions and fun!
Pei Hwa Presbyterian
First place that entered my mind when I was about to embark on this memory lane write-up has to be Beauty World Centre. To me, this was not just an ordinary shopping mall but a place where I made a bunch of amazing friends through basketball, meals and created a bond that I still remember so clearly till now.

Beauty World Centre

The Food Centre situated right at the top of the shopping mall was where I spent many of my after school hours at, gobbling down at chicken rice and western food.  I remembered that there used to be a chicken rice stall that my buddies and I like to patronize. Being students, we had a limited ‘budget’ and therefore we always ordered a place of chicken rice with an extra bowl of rice full of Chap (Gravy)! Fan Xiang Western Food was another fond memory of mine where I always order my favourite lamp chop right at the start of the week before I ran out of pocket money later on. I just had the lamb chop after almost 2 decades of absence and it still bring me many memories upon having it.
At the basement of the mall lies a stationery shop Grassland that belongs to my classmate’s father and this was also the place where I used to get most of my stationery at and of course at a discount. Till today, the shop is still standing strong and still packed with students!  
As I slowly walked towards Bukit Timah Plaza, I saw Beauty World Plaza where I remembered playing arcade games on some days when there were no extra curriculum activities and was always with 1 particular friend, Peter. I still remembered he used to say I only know how to play games that involve planes which I agree till today! 

Bukit Timah Plaza
Beauty World Plaza
Bukit Timah Plaza played a significant role during my childhood days. It was the place where I got my very 1st sports brand tee shirt Adidas from Gallen Sports, where I ate my 1st bowl of Mee Siam from Nonya Delicatessen and Popular Bookstore where I got most of my assessment books from.
Gallen Sports
Nonya Delicatessen
I remember visiting a fast food chain – Waffletown USA every other week at basement 1 because I loved their Egg and Hotdog Waffles! (They are now located at Balmoral Plaza after a stint at the ex- World Trade Centre). Opposite WaffleTown USA was a family restaurant Wishbone where my mum would bring me for a meal whenever she fetched me from school. My favourite dish was the Chicken Chop with black pepper sauce.
Wishbone Family Restaurant

Walking down the slope and i saw my Favourite Landmark in Bukit Timah, King Albert Park. It was a must 'be at' for every kid during my era living and studying around the area. It is a place to gather, to chat, to study and everything else. I still remember clearly that when this flagship store first opened, there was a toy train track that went around! Sadly to say, it will soon be a memory of the past because it will give way to a new architectural structure in the near future. All who loves this place, please come and visit before it becomes just a memory..
My All-Time Favourite Macdonald - King Albert Park


As I walked towards Bukit Timah Hawker Centre for He Zhong Carrot Cake, something caught my eye – My mother school, Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School. Many have changed over the years, the school was torn down and rebuilt into its current state and none of the teachers that I knew are still there. Yet I still feel a sense of belonging when I walked past as I have spent a good 8 years there and my form teacher Mr Ong still remains in my memory as the one who said: “It is better off for you being a Writer when you grow up.” Till today I do not understand but he got this spot on!
Bukit Timah Hawker Centre

What I have learnt and understood over the years is that, the days of childhood played an important part in shaping what I am today especially the all-important 8 years I spent in my mother school. It gave me the faith, motivation and belief to do what I like and enjoy today.
Memories of these years will always be part of me and till today, it never fails to remind me of the fun, sadness, happiness and experiences I learnt to be the man I am now.
To my friends out there, thank you for being part of this experience and I look forward to seeing you soon!


Signing Off,
I Eat I Breathe

Food ‘K’ Maestro

Related Links
Places I Grew Up With (Part 1/5)

Have you like my Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/foodkmaestro.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment