Wednesday 5 September 2012

Places that I Grew Up In (Part 1/5)

1. Far East Plaza

Everyone has some places that will always be in their memories even when they have moved into another phrase of their lives and i am no different.

One of the first places that came to my mind has to be Far East Plaza which is along the main stretch of Scotts Road. Being one of the first shopping malls that lighted up Asia’s Premium Shopping Belt back in the 70’s, nothing much has changed over the years. 
Facade View of Far East Plaza
What still makes me feel at home whenever I visit this shopping centre is that most of the shops have been ever present for the last 20 years or so. However, the changes in this place are also evident with Basement 1 turning into a shopping haven for teenagers and youngsters alike.

As usual, Far East Plaza has always been one of my first choices to have a quick meal in Orchard (barring Lucky Plaza) with its cheap and affordable food stalls on the 5th  Floor of the shopping centre.
Homemade Iced Lemon Tea
Cahaya Restaurant is the food stall that I have been visiting ever since I knew of its existence. How I came to know about this place had to be by pure chance. In the mid-90s, I was looking for a particular bookstore and lost my way. Being the person that always wanted to catch a breather, I decided to drop in and have a cup of coffee. A Chinese Auntie showed me the menu and a dish immediately caught my eyes – Oyster Sauce Chicken Rice.
Cahaya Restaurant on the 5th Floor
That was the turning point for my love towards Oyster Sauce Dishes. I always like to order the Oyster Sauce Chicken Drumstick Rice and oh my, the meat is very tender and the skin has the full taste of the Oyster Sauce that was used to marinate the chicken. With the oyster sauce “Lam” all over the rice, the fragrant smell of the rice just went right up my nose. To date, I have never failed to finish the dish everytime i drop by.
Oyster Sauce Drumstick Rice with extra "Chap"
Another dish worthy to mention is the fried wanton. The skin is crispy and the filling is wrapped in full by wanton skin. The fillings are actually turnip and carrot which makes it slightly healthier after some intensive frying right behind the kitchen! What completed this dish is actually the dark sweet sauce which makes this dish simple yet tasty. My then girlfriend and current wife loves this dish and is a must order on our 'Food' minds.
Fried Wanton With Dark Sweet Sauce
Enough of food? Over the course of the years I have been there, I never failed to drop by Ana bookstore that was originally on the 3rd floor but moved to the 5th floor in 2003. I remembered borrowing books from this particular Indian uncle who always recommended me books I like to read (History and English Literature). Come to think of it, the cost of renting a book was only $1 and I always managed to get fantastic books I love which I never got a chance to loan it at the National Library.  Till today, I can still find pretty up to date books at this store.

Fresh Fruits Stall on 4th Floor

Ana Bookstore on the 5th Floor
As I walked down memory lane, what intrigued me the most is I still walk the same direction to the shops I patronize and the feeling are similar to yesteryears. For me, I always like some things to remain un-changed, do you feel the same way as I feel?



Signing Off,

I Eat I Breathe

Food ‘K’ Maestro

No comments:

Post a Comment